A Scavenger Hunt
Embark on a virtual scavenger hunt that guides you throughout the New England Primate Conservancy website. With each guided step, you are led to a section of the website that contains information for solving a clue. Each correct clue brings you closer to deciphering a mystery quote by Dr. Jane Goodall, the world’s foremost expert on chimpanzees. This engaging and interactive learning activity introduces you to a variety of conservation and primate protection topics. It is a great way to initiate or extend discussions about conservation.
Great for Grades 2nd through 8th (though older kids will enjoy it too). Grades on the younger end of the range would benefit from more teacher support and older grades could do it independently.
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
This activity introduces students to:
- The geographic distribution of nonhuman primate species across the globe
- The purpose of the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN)
- How the IUCN classifies Conservation Statuses of primate species
- Major threats to primates
- Primates living in research facilities and the Animal Welfare Act
- Personal choices and actions that individuals can make to support primate conservation