YOU'RE THE SCIENTIST!
A KEY FOR IDENTIFYING PRIMATE SPECIES
Getting Started...Practicing Observation
We’re going to use a dichotomous key to identify primate species. Before we do, let’s practice our powers of observation with this exercise.
From the three guenon monkey photos above, select one species.
- Look closely at the monkey that you selected.
- Write down three features or characteristics of that monkey.
- Show the photos to a partner.
- Now read the three observations you wrote down to your partner without telling them which species you picked.
- Can they correctly identify the unknown guenon species based on your descriptions?
Now, let’s apply those powers of observation to a dichotomous key.